America’s Voice’s video on What is FAIR?
America’s Voice–a pro-immigrant organization waging a communications campaign for immigration reform–has launched a new video as part of a series of moves to shed light on the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) and expose it for what it is: a bona fide hate group.
A complete rundown of FAIR is also posted on America’s Voice website:
- The Southern Poverty Law Center has named FAIR a “hate group.” The list of other groups which have earned this distinction from SPLC include: the Ku Klux Klan, the American Nazi Party, and the Aryan Nations. (Link)
- FAIR was founded by a supporter of eugenics, John Tanton, with funds from the Pioneer Fund, a foundation committed to the belief that some races of people are genetically and intellectually superior to other races. Tanton continues as a leader of FAIR and sits on its board of directors.
- FAIR employed and continues to employ known anti-Catholic bigots, including Rosanna Pulido, who said of the Catholic Church in the United States:
What better way to fill your pews and fill your offering coffers than with inviting in and giving sanctuary to illegal aliens? . . . What is being passed off right now by the Catholic Church is not Catholicism. It has nothing to do with Christianity or the Bible. (Link)
And FAIR Executive Director Dan Stein went further, targeting Latino Catholics:
Certainly we would encourage people in other countries to have small families. Otherwise they’ll all be coming here, because there’s no room at the Vatican. . . . Many immigrants hate America, hate everything the United States stands for. Talk to some of these Central Americans. (Link)
- FAIR’s Executive Director Dan Stein has been an author and editorial board member for the Social Contract Press. FAIR Board member Sharon Barnes has also been on the editorial advisory board. Social Contract publishes the work of numerous white nationalists such as John Vinson, who wrote that God prefers racial separation and that the South should secede from the United States to protect white people. (Link)
- In February 2007, FAIR hosted a high profile meeting with Flemish Interest (Vlaams Belang). This Belgian political group is described by the Anti-Defamation League as:
[D]eeply hostile to immigrants and minorities, and its members have a history of espousing racist and anti-Semitic views. Flemish Interest recently has made headlines in Europe as one of the founding members of a new racist and anti-Semitic political group in the European Parliament called “Identity, Tradition and Sovereignty” (ITS). (Link)
- FAIR has well-documented connections to the racist hate group Council of Conservative Citizens, formed out of the old White Citizens Council. The Council of Conservative Citizens has described black people as “a retrograde species of humanity.” FAIR staffer Rick Oltman has spoken at Council events, as did FAIR field coordinator Dave Ray. Similarly, Council leaders Sam Francis and Jared Taylor have spoken at FAIR run forums. (Link)